Hair dying has been a common practice of both men and women since ancient times. The more common it is, the more toxic it is for hair health. No matter how efficiently the dye is applied or how expensive the brand of the product is, they still cause toxicity, hypersensitivity or damage to the skin. But fortunately, the hair dye industry provide extremely beneficial products like permanent and temporary hair colors, best shampoos for color treated hair, protective products, etc. These products have made it quite convenient to take care of color treated hair.
Popular Hair Color Treatments
There are many types of trendy hair color treatments in fashion today. Some of them are given below:
- Highlights and lowlights
- Complete hair color
- Gray coverage
- Blonde, etc.
Problems Associated with Color Treated Hair
Usually the hair coloring products that are more risky to health are those that are used to permanently change the natural color of hair. These products contain strong chemicals such as ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, paraphenylenediamine, resorcinol, etc. All these products are harmful to the skin.
Contact of the above mentioned chemicals with scalp can cause redness, inflammation, swelling, itching or formation of blisters. The swelling and burning may also travel to face and neck and cause breathing difficulties. The effect can occur immediately or within a day or two, depending upon the degree of sensitivity.
Some ingredients present in hair coloring products are thought to contain cancer causing agents. Though, the evidence to this assumption Is still to be found.
Ingestion of the hair dye, especially by children, could cause severe reactions in the gastro intestinal tract (GIT). These could be severe irritation in the mouth, throat or stomach. If the condition becomes severe, vomiting could also occur.
If the hair color enters the eyes, it can cause severe irritation. Extreme damage may include permanent blindness or injury to the eye.
Excessive use of hair treatment products loses the strength of hair and makes them fragile and weak.
Solution to These Problems
Making the hair looks flawlessly attractive is very simple. Given below are simple ideas to take care of color treated hair:
- Always use the hair color suggested by a professional hair colorist.
- Choose a hair color that contains agents that are ammonia and sulfate free.
- Hair color should contain any conditioning element to maintain the natural oils and moisture of the scalp. This will also make the hair look lustrous, shiny and healthy. Conditioners for color treated hair should be preferred.
- The hair color must provide maximum definition and minimum stress to the roots of the hair.
- Wash hair less often to reduce the hair loss and damage to hair caused by hair dye.
- Wash hair with slightly warm or cold water. Hot water will make the hair color fade away.
- To keep the hair dye look fresh, spray dry shampoo at the roots of the hair and apply generous amount of oil.
- Use products such as best biotin supplements for hair growth. This will help you maintain the health of the hair and keep them strong.
Colored hairs require special attention and care. By using the right coloring products as prescribed by a dermatologist of hair colorist, colored hair can be made to look more vibrant and lively. Prefer using a product with more natural ingredients and fewer chemicals. Do not use the product that has high penetrating ability. Seek immediate medical help or advice if any reaction occurs due to the exposure. A patch test is highly recommended before using the product on entire hair.